more focus, miss mori

I'm a cinematic addict but I like books, too.

American Born Chinese

American Born Chinese - Gene Luen Yang I've been looking forward to reading ABC for a while, given the depressing lack of lit for an Asian-American teenager like myself to read about...well, being Asian-American. And I'm glad to say that I'm completely satisfied and faith-restored by it. This graphic novel really, really touched me. While I realize that it's telling the story of Asian-American guys (which is, patently, a very different experience from my own as a girl), Yang was still able to perfectly illustrate and articulate every frustrating instance I've personally had with casual racism and stereotype-based snubbing that I might not even have been able to vocalize or even notice, sometimes.

Part of its appeal was the storytelling that was profoundly and self-deprecatingly witty in a very similar manner to one of my favorites, Sherman Alexie's The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian.

As with True Diary, I enjoyed this so much that it took me a half hour to dissect this from cover-to-cover.

Blindness